Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Luck of Roaring Camp

I really enjoyed The Luck of Roaring Camp, even with its somewhat tragic ending. I think little Thomas Luck brought more than just good luck to the gold miners– his presence gave the men of the camp motivation and something to finally work hard for. They had no reason to not continue with their “fugitive” or “reckless” ways before young impressionable Luck arrived (p. 375); from the moment he was born things started to change. The men began whispering instead of being loud and rambunctious and even decided to christen the baby. I think Stumpy, Kentuck and the others decided whether subconsciously or not, that Luck wasn’t going to end up like them and that he would have a better life than they did. This is the basic idea that runs through every parent’s mind, and I think it’s sweet that these “rough” men could find it in themselves to love and cherish a baby (p. 375).

No comments: